22.2.08

Past Continuous



FORM: [was/were + present participle]





The past continuous of any verb is composed of two parts : the past tense of the verb to be (was/were), and the base of the main verb +ing





The past continuous describes actions or events in a time before now, which began in the past and was still going on at the time of speaking.





It is used:



- Often, to describe the background in a story written in the past tense.





- To describe an unfinished action that was interrupted by another event or action: "I was having a beautiful dream when the alarm clock rang."



- To express a change of mind: e.g. "I was going to spend the day at the beach but I've decided to go on an excursion instead."










Afirmative:


* I was studying when she called



Negative:


*I wasn't studing when she called



Interrogative:


*Was I studing when she called?



It is important to remember that non-continuous verbs can't be used in any continuous tenses. Also, certain non-continuous meanings for mixed verbs can't be used in continuous tenses. Instead of using Past Continuous with these verbs, you must use simple past.


- Jane was being at my house when you arrived. Not Correct
- Jane was at my house when you arrived. Correct







Credits: http://www.englishpage.com/verbpage/pastperfectcontinuous.html




past continous -

No comments: